A creamy, hearty casserole that was an instant family favorite!
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 16 oz. Country Pasta
- 7 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. can mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. half & half
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 c. meat from rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 14 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Sun Dried Tomatoes (as many as desired)
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in large pot. Add Country Pasta and cook for 20 minutes. Drain when done cooking and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe pot, heat 2 Tbsp. butter then add diced red bell pepper, diced onion, and mushrooms. Sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes, then add 3 cloves of garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Once cooked through, place veggies in a bowl to hold until done making cream sauce.
- In same Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, add 5 Tbsp. butter and melt. Add flour to make a roux and cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the half & half and chicken broth and then cook until the sauce thickens. Add 3 c. cheese (saving 1 c. for top). Stir until cheese is melted and fully mixed into the sauce. Add sautéed vegetables, shredded chicken, fire roasted tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and cooked and drained pasta to the pot and mix together. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake uncovered in oven at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. For a browned top, turn the oven to broil for the last 4-6 minutes. Serve with warm garlic bread and a side salad - Enjoy!
This is also a great dish to make-ahead. Simply make everything up until the point of putting it in the oven. Store in refrigerator (up to two days) until ready to cook. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until heated through, and serve.
Recipe adapted from thekitchn.com