Servings: 4 to 6
Thanks to www.plainchicken.com for recipe inspiration!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup Cottage cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded and divided
- 2 tsp. Chopped fresh basil
- 1 6 oz. can Sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup Spaghetti sauce of choice
- 1/2 lb. Italian Sausage (try also: ground beef, shredded chicken breast)
- 8 oz. Country Pasta, cooked per package directions and drained (if you MUST use spaghetti noodles, go right ahead)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray & set aside.
- Cook the pasta per package directions.
- Drain and place in a bowl.
- Toss pasta with beaten eggs & 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Press the pasta into the pie plate.
- It should be densely packed.
- In a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage, then drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce & chopped basil and mushrooms.
- Stir until evenly warmed, then remove from heat.
- Combine cottage cheese and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, then spread over pasta.
- Evenly layer the spaghetti sauce mixture over the cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella & Parmesan on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.